Water Conservation: Initiatives
Water Conservation Tips:
1. Turn off the water while you brush your teeth.
2. Don't run the sink when shaving. Fill it instead.
3. Grass should be watered to just above brown. Water only in early morning or late evening.
4. Install low-flow shower-heads and faucet aerators to reduce water use while maintaining flow.
5. Report/repair drips and leaks. one drop per second wastes 2,700 gallons of water a year.
6. Use a shut-off nozzle on your hose to prevent water from running excessively.
7. Sweep driveways, sidewalks and patios instead of hosting them off.
8. Only run the dishwasher or washing machine when full.
9. Adjust sprinklers so they don't water driveways and sidewalks.
10. Take short showers, no more than five to eight minutes. Shut the water off while soaping down. A bathtub uses about 70 gallons of water, while a five-minute shower with low-flow showerhead uses between 20 and 25 gallons.
11. Do not use running water to thaw meat or other frozen foods. Defrost food overnight in the refrigerator or use the defrost setting on your microwave.
Looking into the Future
MCAGCC leadership is looking ahead at how the installation can better conserve water. Here are a few future projects:
- A commitment to exceed conservation requirements
- Developing public outreach brochures & news articles
- Working with Public Works Department, Marine Corps Community Services & Lincoln Military Housing to reduce irrigation (time & frequency)
- Continued installation of low-flow and water-wise fixtures in both new and older buildings
- Green space (grass area) reductions
- Optimizing the wastewater treatment plant for maximum water reuse
- Developing installation-wide Water Conservation Plan
- Developing a matrix for tracking the success of conservation efforts
- Removing or altering Ocotillo ponds to reduce evaporation loss
- Dedicated car wash sites where used water is collected, recycled and reused
- Expanding recycled water irrigation system to the parade deck and other fields
- Installing additional artificial turf in various areas
- Future system for capturing and utilizing rain water